Acoustics and noise are becoming increasingly important in the design and specification of new developments. This has been driven in part by changes in planning legislation but is also a major consideration in the implementation of sustainable development, particularly through schemes such as BREEAM.
The noise team at TNEI have considerable experience across a range of sectors and have worked on projects ranging from master planning of mixed use developments through to acoustic design of specialist spaces.
Typical acoustics and noise consultancy services which we offer to Planners and Architects include:
- Site suitability assessments and master planning;
- Assessments of proposed developments on existing residential receptors;
- Assessments of existing noise sources on future developments;
- Façade and glazing configurations;
- Sound insulation specification;
- Speech intelligibility and privacy assessments;
- Calculation of internal noise levels from mechanical ventilation systems;
- Calculation of reverberation times and acoustic design of specialist spaces;
- Impact assessment of road traffic and rail (noise and vibration) on new developments; and,
- Construction noise assessments, noise monitoring and control.
All of our 10 strong noise team are affiliated with the Institute of Acoustics, come from both public and private sector backgrounds and regularly act as Expert Witnesses. We have a wealth of experience across a range of sectors including energy, industrial, commercial, leisure, education, construction and transportation.
TNEI staff have been involved in various projects for Planning Consultancies and Architects; Master-planning projects of note include Inverness Campus, Heart of Walker Development and the European Marine Science Park near Oban, whilst architectural projects include the acoustic design of entire university campuses, performance and recording venues, exhibition and public spaces, housing, offices & meeting rooms and numerous primary and secondary schools.