Our noise team undertakes specialist noise investigations and provides wide ranging advice and services, from initial desktop studies and baseline noise surveys through to provision of assessments for planning submissions, expert witness services at Public Inquiries and post construction compliance monitoring. All members of our noise team are affiliated with the Institute of Acoustics and work on a wide range of projects in the UK and abroad.
TNEI offers a comprehensive suite of noise consultancy services including environmental and occupational noise assessment, vibration and blast monitoring, and control and management.
Our noise team members, all of whom are affiliated with the Institute of Acoustics, have experience across a wide range of sectors from residential developments to renewable energy and oil and gas to major infrastructure projects. Our diverse mix of knowledge and experience means that we can match specifically skilled consultants to your project, ensuring you receive the best possible advice.
The projects we work on are often subject to high levels of scrutiny by planning authorities, enforcement agencies and third parties. TNEI always looks to provide robust technical services to ensure that the assessments are defensible throughout planning and application processes, at Public Inquiries or through other legal proceedings. Our Expert Witnesses regularly work on planning appeals and attend Public Inquiries and we have an excellent record of success in this area.
We strive to deliver accurate and compliant assessments whilst also offering a pragmatic approach to noise problems. We take an active role in the advancement of industry knowledge relating to acoustics and are regularly involved in noise steering groups and consultation panels. Our staff formed part of the peer review group for the recent Government endorsed Institute of Acoustics document ‘A Good Practice Guide to the Application of ETSU-R-97 for the Assessment and Rating of Wind Turbine Noise’ (IOA GPG) and also produced one of the Supplementary Guidance Notes.
Our key services
The TNEI Noise Team are competent in a range of acoustic disciplines, however, a brief overview of our key services are provided below.
Our industrial noise experience covers a diverse range of sectors including waste management, manufacturing, oil & gas, food & drink, animal rendering, quarrying and sawmills. Specialist services that we offer to our industrial clients include:
- Environmental / PPC permitting and planning applications;
- Noise propagation modelling;
- Compliance monitoring;
- Noise control and noise management;
- Silencer, enclosure and barrier specification;
- Investigation of noise complaints; and
- Occupational noise assessment.
Renewable and Conventional Energies
TNEI is an energy specialist and as such we have expert knowledge that can be applied to a wide variety of energy and infrastructure projects. Typical projects and activities that we undertake include:
- Baseline noise level monitoring (short, medium and long term);
- ETSU-R-97 wind farm noise assessments, cumulative conditioning and mode management specification;
- Planning applications for hydro (ROR and storage), solar farms, anaerobic digestion and biomass schemes;
- Energy from waste - planning and IPPC applications;
- Noise propagation modelling for substations and electrical infrastructure;
- Wind turbine performance testing;
- Construction noise prediction, monitoring and management;
- Due diligence; and,
- Expert witness, public inquiry and planning appeals.
Masterplanning, Commercial and Residential
Acoustics and noise are becoming increasingly important in the design and specification of new developments. This has been driven in part by changes in planning legislation but is also a major consideration in the implementation of sustainable development, particularly through schemes such as BREEAM. Noise and vibration consultancy services which we offer to Planners, Architects and Developers include:
- Site suitability assessments and master planning;
- Assessments of proposed developments on existing residential receptors;
- Assessments of existing noise sources on future developments;
- Façade and glazing configurations;
- Sound insulation specification;
- Speech intelligibility and privacy assessments;
- Calculation of internal noise levels from mechanical ventilation systems;
- Calculation of reverberation times and acoustic design of specialist spaces;
- Impact assessment of road, rail and air traffic noise and vibration on new developments; and,
- Construction noise assessments, noise monitoring and control.
Further information on some of TNEI’s noise services can be found on the following pages: