Location: Glasgow or Newcastle office and on site as required.
TNEI is an independent specialist energy consultancy providing technical, strategic, environmental and consenting advice to organisations operating within the conventional and renewable energy sectors. We have three offices based in the UK, in Manchester, Newcastle and Glasgow and an additional office in Cape Town, South Africa.
The successful candidate will deliver Environmental Clerk of Works services and other environmental support. It is likely that projects will primarily be within the energy generation, transmission and distribution sectors although there may be opportunities to work on other types of projects.
Regular site work is envisaged and while projects will mainly be within the UK, there may be opportunities to work internationally.
The successful candidate will be responsible for establishing and growing this service within TNEI, supporting business development activity as required. The role will also involve delivering training to colleagues, clients and contractors.
As the service is established, the successful candidate may be required to assist in recruitment, development and day to day support / management of additional staff.
Other activities may include (but are not limited to):
- Supporting the Environmental Impact Assessment process
- Supporting the environmental permitting process through provision of specialist advice
- Preparing Environmental Management Plans, Waste Management Plans or Construction Management Plans
- Supporting strategic projects or due diligence reviews through provision of specialist advice
- Undertaking Preliminary Ecological Appraisals
- Undertaking environmental auditing.
It is expected that, on average, around 75% of time would be spent on project work with the remainder spent on sales activities, business development activities and in training and supporting colleagues.
The candidate should be experienced in their field and have practical experience of energy projects. They should also be capable of taking a leading role within the team and providing mentoring and development support where required.
It is critical that the candidate has an excellent customer focus and is able to interpret client requirements and manage and deliver sometimes difficult or complex projects to their satisfaction. This would include engaging proactively with clients to deliver new business opportunities as well as maintaining current relationships, undertaking and managing project work, writing and reviewing documents and reports and managing, supporting and guiding other team members.
The successful candidate will have a flexible and innovative approach to pragmatically delivering projects and meeting client expectations.
- Delivering projects to a high level of technical competency based on previous experience. It is expected that the candidate would be experienced and capable of acting autonomously.
- Actively managing client relationships and ensure that their needs and expectations are understood.
- Managing large multi-disciplinary projects, communicating with clients as required.
- Working with colleagues in other TNEI disciplines and seeking opportunities to utilise their services.
- Working independently, whilst discussing projects openly to share lessons learned and expert knowledge or experience.
- Defining work scopes for others to undertake project work on the projects they are managing.
- Ensuring all work is reviewed at appropriate stages, peer reviewing others’ work to ensure consistency, accuracy and that it meets clients’ expectations, authorising the release of deliverables.
- Identifying risks within their projects, communicating regularly with the rest of the project team and elevating any issues to Project Director or Commercial Director if support is required.
- Supporting other members of the team as required providing one-to-one or group training.
- Contributing to, or managing the preparation of, proposals, including commercial aspects, involving others as required.
- Managing their own time and delivering multiple or large, complex projects on time/budget, managing client expectations and scope changes as required.
- Communicating availability and their project requirements to the resource manager and aim to keep their levels of project work high.
- Maintaining and sharing market intelligence.
- Considering their impact on health and safety, quality and environment.
If you are interested in this position please email Jason McGray, attaching your CV and a brief covering letter outlining your experience and interest.